Friday, September 26, 2008

Infusion - No Confusion!

Every day seems to hold new adventures! Today was my first day to put on my Nurse hat and do Sharon's infusion on my own! Wasn't bad - at least the patient survived! I did have my practical tonight with a real nurse looking over my shoulder. Basic drill is something like Mix, Shake, Clean, Establish Flow, Clean, Connect, and Oh, lest I forget, DeBubble! Not necessarily in that order! Last night, the saline infusion solution was removed from the fridge just before we mixed and infused. She said it was really cold! Soooo, tonight we took it out of the fridge about three hours early to let it warm a little! OK, those of our friends who are in the medical field, you can quit snickering now! Just remember the old thing about Old Dogs and New Tricks!! [:D] Guess I'll be an old pro in a couple of days!

Managed to get a grocery shopping trip in today! Really stocked the kitchen with the basics so we can have some "real" meals for a change! So, what did we have for dinner tonight? - how 'bout a granola bar and some toasted nuts! Yup, sounds like a real meal to me! Actually, I don't think we officially had supper (dinner, if you prefer!). I got in and unloaded the groceries just before the nurse got her and we just sorta' munched while the infusion was happening! Don't worry, Mom, I got veggies, too!

Sharon is getting stronger every day. She's doing really well for two surgeries so close together such a short while ago. I can tell that the short leash prescription is going to need some strong reinforcement before too much longer. She has rested quite a bit today. The big highlight of her day is that the Extended Stay finally delivered a recliner for her to use. It's actually quite comfortable. It's quite "sleepable" if necessary and can be used rather nicely for that mid morning and mid afternoon naps. It should give her life a little more variety as that leash tightens!

Bulli has been funny during this infusion time! He's not quite sure what is going on with this thing his mom's hooked to. He has watched intently as the lines are connected and showed some concern about the whole thing! Even the nurses made note of how attentive he was to what was going on!

I do make note that, for once, it's not Texas that had a hurricane aimed at it's head this weekend! Good luck on the way to New England this week!

Cheers

Joe

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just another note full of prayers and love and God's blessings!

Jerry and Tondi

Cache & Keri said...

Sharon...We're so glad to hear that your making such good progress! Hopefully, you'll be able to concentrate enough to do some pleasure reading soon.

As for your new male nurse, "Mr Debubble", I hope he works out since he seems to have a handle on things.

Y'all take care and say hi to Bulli for us...

Mike & Joan