Friday, September 12, 2008

Friday Morning - An early start to the day!

I knew it was going to be along day this morning when the phone woke me up at 6:00 AM and it was Sharon after not having slept well and needing some early help! It was at a time when the doctors were making rounds, the floor was full of new surgical patients from the Thursday surgical marathon day, shift change was taking place, AND, perhaps most important of all, Sharon was literally sitting on a potential first-time-after-surgery elimination problem! All of it together, with a lack of sleep, had her quite in a dither that she needed a LOT of help with. After taking care of the little boy and getting him walked and fed, I finally made it up, totally unshaven, while the doctors were still on the rounds. I helped her get up in the chair for a while, get breakfast, and make it to a couple of false alarms to the bathroom. It's now 10:45 and it feels like I've been here for a week or two! Such is the benefit of an early hurried start! [:D] She has already had two PT walks down the hall and is now back in bed resting again! Oh yes! We had the big event about an hour ago! I learned a lot about the hospital utility systems in the process of all this. Their air evacuation systems to exhaust the air are TOTALLY INSUFFICIENT! You don't really want to know just HOW I can be so emphatic about that! Fortunately, this is a sight and sound only media!

The Extended Stay is rapidly filling up. I expect to have to park quite a way out tonight when I get back to the room. Bulli and I walked past several cars in the lot this AM that were stacked full of personal possessions with only enough room for the driver in the car. You gotta know they're escaping the storm.

After I wrote the late note last evening, the news talked about how fuel was going to be in the wake of the storm here. Sooooo, Bulli and I went out to the only station near us that has diesel fuel available to top off. We were down about a half a tank and I did not want to run short of either driving fuel OR enough to run the generator when it was needed. There was a line at the diesel pumps when we arrived and we just waited our turn to fill. While waiting, I noticed that they had sold OUT of mid-range and high test fuels. Fortunately, there was diesel left and we got our fill. That should hold us through any contingency plans we need to make, either for medical purposes or for weather related events. Of course, we're not expecting a transportation requirement for weather, but, being good Scouts, we wanted to be prepared.

OK, she's finally napping again, so I think I'll take a stroll to keep it quiet in here for a while!

Until later, Cheers!

Joe

No comments: