Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Free At Last! Free At Last! Halleluyah! She's Free At Last!

Today was the day! It started slowly with starts and fits, a lot of hurry up and wait, and endedinamadhouseofactivitythatdidn'tevenstarttoslowdowntilaboutteno'clock! Whew! Glad they all aren't like that! It has been quite a day! We finally left the hospital at 3:00PM. To keep Sharon from having to negotiate the steps in Geovanii, Ron Leach did a great repeat performance of his last year life-saver! He volunteered to give her the first ride from the Presby to the Extended Stay. Thank you! Ron! That began her transition into civilian life again! [:D] Once here, we got her into bed and I went in search of the drugs that we need to administer her follow-on treatement! I thought that I would be crafty and kill two birds with one stone - I went to the Wally World SuperCenter just a few blocks away from the hotel! First stop, pharmacy! Drop scripts. Er, what was that again? You mean you DON'T HAVE THAT ONE? No, just give them ALL back to me. I'll go somewhere I can get them done at the same time! OK, grab a few groceries while here! OK Let's try CVS, I am already in their computer. Wait, what was that? You mean you don't have that one either? Maybe I can get it at the pharmacy at the hospital, it's just right across the street! Oh, they closed 15 minutes ago! OK, where do I have to go to get this? Do they have it as close as Waco (100+ miles south of Dallas, for you non-Texans!)? Anyway, the ladies at CVS came through - they have some of it at the Trinity Pharmacy! OK, where is that? Turned out it was "only" seven miles away through "go home" traffic! Not bad! OK you can fill the other two, right? OK I'll pick it up on the way back! After the drive, I found that they do not have the full amount but they do have a 5 day supply! This must be some rare stuff! I paid my co-pay share and thought, WOW! That's some expensive stuff! Only 5 day share and it cost me THAT MUCH FOR MY SHARE? Oh, that's for the whole 90 day supply! Not too bad! Wait, how much is the insurance part? Gulp! Sure glad I have THAT coverage! Won't say how much, but each pill is well more than my copay! And she's taking two a day!

While all this search was going on, I was getting a lot of phone calls or rather I was getting a lot of missed call dings! I finally figured out that, somehow, my ringer volume was dropped to zero and I only knew of a call when it was missed. If I didn't answer some of you, I apologize! It was purely unintentional. Also, concurrently, I was directing two different groups of home care people into the Extended Stay and trying to coordinate with ATMA to get to the ES at the same time they did. Somewhere, I think I almost talked to Wanda and had such a poor connection that we were going to talk later and never did. When I got back, Tim and Rhonda were waiting for me and we got into the room just in time to run head on into a Bulli that needed a walk pretty BADDLY! and the home care nurses who were to begin the infusion tonight and give me training on how to do it myself after one more OJT session. Tim and I had already agreed we were going to get food and bring it in for dinner. OOPS, Tim, I've got to get training! Tim and Rhonda graciously went for the food. We ate while the infusion thing was going on and the nurses were getting the paperwork done. The infusion took a little over an hour and had to finish before I could get the last of my OJT.

When all this was finished, Sharon looked at me and said, "Boy, am I tired! That wore me out!" I just smiled!

Thank you for dinner, Tim and Rhonda! I'm not sure we got that far. Was so glad you came by. Hope you find all well back home in Galveston!

Sure is good to be back under one roof! Looks like we'll have to stay about another two weeks from now. Have, I believe, two Dr's appointments. One with Dr Emerson and one with Dr Baum who was treating the infection in the joint!

Better get to bed. Have a mega-laundry to do in the morning. I won't even go into what I may have to reuse AGAIN before I wash this time!

Cheers!

Joe

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What a day! I bet all of you are snoozing pretty soundly right about now!

alirose said...

Missed you on the IM last night. Good to know you got sprung from the Big House! Hope to talk to you soon.

Anonymous said...

If these are Redi-Meds, I have lots of practice. Have questions, just ask. They were wonderful little things.

Just thought you would like to know you weren't alone with these things.

Next step, back to Nashville, home of the perpetual fuel shortage.

Take care