Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Blog Purpose

This blog has been created to act as a chronicle to keep our family and friends informed on the progress of Sharon's fourth hip replacement/revision. The background, for those who are not familiar with her history, will be briefly reviewed early in this blog for informational purposes. We have been looking forward with some dread to this for the past couple of years. Her hip condition has steadily worsened with loss of leg length and a lot of, as she says, discomfort! She will never admit to having "pain" with the problem!

This process began to be scheduled while we were in Texas during May 2006. We visited Dr. Roger Emerson's office and had her first appointment with him in several years. Dr. Emerson had performed her last hip replacement in 1991 and because of some rather severe complications including massive infections and removal of the prosthesis, replaced the replacement in 1992. We have chosen to go back and have him perform this replacement because he and Dr. William Head, now retired, have been on the leading edge of hip prosthesis development for many years. Once again, their lead has placed them with the advanced design joint prosthesis that Sharon needs to overcome the problems of severe deterioriation of the cup area of the pelvic structure.

Presently, we are scheduled to leave Tennessee around the 15th of September for pre-op lab work and blood self-donation. We are to be at the hospital in Plano, TX at 10:45 AM on 1 October for the operation. The operation will follow later in the day.

I will attempt to have this blog updated daily or more often as we get closer to "O"-Day. We ask your prayers and thoughts for her fast recovery and, perhaps most importantly this time, NO COMPLICATIONS, PLEASE!!!

6 comments:

Kimmie said...

Thanks for the update and great way to keep up with your progress! You both will be in my prayers! Many blessing to you both and I will check the blog update regularly!!! Kimmie

Unknown said...

I will be checking in on you and keeping you in my prayers while you're gone.

AuntieNae said...

I’m sending this to let you know
I think of you each day,
And pray for your recovery,
Hoping soon you’ll be okay.

You’re going through a lot right now;
You’re treatments can be trying;
Remember while you do them
It’s your problem you’re defying.

Hold on to your positive attitude,
And when things get hard to bear,
Know that I am here for you;
Remember that I care.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the link to this blog! You had told me about this replacement to come. I will be with you two in my thoughts and hope that everything is going to be fine. Greetings from Germany, Carsten / geoPirat

Anonymous said...

You better believe that I will be checking on progress! I will be praying for the safe procedure and speedy recovery.

On a bit of a lighter note...Will their be a meet n' greet geocaching event in the waiting room? If so, I would be really tempted to make the drive out there :)

Anonymous said...

The best of luck for the best of the cachers! I love the Hippy Event idea...just wish I could be there. Team SSH will be keeping you in our thoughts. The Bionic Woman has nothing on Sharon.